- What is a Soda Jerk? The title of Soda Jerk comes from the motion of jerking the soda fountain handle to make a hand mixed soda. This term was popular and regularly used in the late 19th century into the 1950s. A Soda Jerk operates the soda fountain, preparing soda drinks and other available treats. Sodas are made by mixing flavored syrups with carbonated water with other ingredients to be served to visitors. Most importantly Soda Jerks create a fun and happy environment to all people that visit the shop.
•Money handling and cash management skills.
•Ability to communicate product and food information to customers.
•Ability to learn and handle proper food handling skills.
•Follow recipe guidelines for all food served to customers.
•Follow food safety guidelines.
•Maintain a clean and sanitary work environment.
•Follow proper cleaning guidelines for ice cream and soda fountain equipment.
•Follow Sweet Mercantile policies and assigned tasks.
•Energetic and friendly personality and works well with the public.
•Bussing and cleaning tables, booths, and chairs.
•Maintaining sanitation standards.
•Refilling and restocking supplies.
•Handling daily cleaning and trash removal.
•Other duties as assigned.
- Buyer – manage vendors, receive merchandise and establish pricing, order supplies, maintain stock levels, monitor expiration dates, research new vendors as needed to keep product mix fresh
- Merchandising – display product effectively on candy side, keep signage and messaging consistent
- Marketing – keep up social media channels with updates and specials
- Website – update content and hours as needed
- Events – participate in District and Czech Village events, creating unique in-store events a plus (trivia nights)
- Manage in conjunction with Operations Manager all staff including hiring, training, scheduling, retaining and mentoring
- Accounting – payroll, A/P, A/R, petty cash
- Food Manager Certified – maintain health code standards
- Communicate regularly with owner
- Strategically plan and allocate resources (payroll, staff, merchandise) to maximize sales and profitability and reduce inefficiencies
- Work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and some holidays
- Diplomatically manage customer’s needs and complaints in a timely manner
- Create a fun, welcoming environment for all visitors to enjoy!
Link for General Manager position below
General Manager - Candy Shop and Soda Fountain - Cedar Rapids, IA 52404 - Indeed.com